In nearly seven years of marriage I don't think I have ever had coasters in my house. I don't know why. It is just one of those things you never remember to get at the store.
Plus, it is so hard to find adorable coasters, don't you think? I decided to make my own version so that I could match them to my house.
They are way cuter, they work great and they are cheap! Can't go wrong with that. I picked up eight square tiles from Home Depot for $0.16 a piece, three sheets of scrapbook paper for $0.50 each and one sheet of felt for $0.25 from Hobby Lobby. Here is how it works.
1) 8-12 tiles
2) 3 sheets of scrapbook paper
3) 1 sheet of felt
1) hot glue gun
2) precision knife
4) Mod Podge
5) paint brush
1) Give the tiles a good wash to get all of the dust off of them.
2) Place the tile on the back side of the paper and cut out. It doesn't need to be perfect but make sure there is at least 1/4 inch on each side.
3) Paint the Mod Podge on the face of the tile and place paper. You need to do this quickly because it dries so fast.
I usually place the paper where I want it and crease it to give me a guide before I put on the glue. That way the pattern isn't crooked when placed.
4) Turn the tile on its side and knife off the excess. This will give it a perfect fit over the edges.
5) Notch out a square on each corner so the paper folds perfectly over the edges.
6) Paint the glue on the edges of the tile and fold over the paper.
I did one side at a time because I found that it doesn't stick as easily as the smooth surface.
It helps if you tilt the tile on its side and let the glue dry before doing the other edges.
7) Paint Mod Podge onto the face of the coaster.
You can use a liberal amount just make sure you don't leave any globs.
Keep in mind that you will be able to see your brush strokes.
Let the glue dry and repeat this step 5x.
8) Use the precision knife and cut out 4 small, felt circles for each coaster.
Cork would probably look better but I had felt lying around.
I traced a big button to get a perfect circle. :)
9) Glue 4 felt circles to each coaster. Voila, you are Finished!